Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Kolkata

As i pass over the Howrah Bridge I have this nostalgic feel. Reminds me of something really close.

Taxi wala takes 'extra seat' ... and it happens to be a film actor. The extra one is very interesting.

"Hum bahut sara bengoli filmo mein kam kiya hu" he informs. "Aj 25 saal bad bombay gaya tha...udhar ka torokki dekh ke hum hairon reh goya"

I agree.

"Hum comedian hu". He appears so. "Chota mota kam kor leta hu filmo mein. Hum Kadar Khan se milne gaya tha...Bohot bada gentleman admi hai wo."

I stay in Maharastra Niwas as suggested by one of my dear friend. As i register, i get one soap as a compliment which i am supposed to use all along my stay. Interestingly, most of the staff members in Maharashtra Niwas are Biharis. You can also see lots of Biharis all over Kolkata.

As i am checking my mails, theres a knock on the door and Rajendar brings the much needed tea.

I ask "Chai ka paisa kitna hua?"

"Kuch nahi. Ek Kop chai sabko free hai"

He also inquires, "Apko khane mein nimok kam lagta hai ya jyada?". I opt for Kam nimok.

They say its easy to learn Bengali. Put a roshogulla in your mouth and speak Hindi. Thats Bengali.

Incidentally at the conference, an Australian asks me "Have you come here todie (today)?"

"No sir, I prefer to stay alive"

That is a very poor joke by his standards. So he doesn't smile.

Back at the hotel I ask Rajendar "Yaha ka climate kaisa hota hai?"

He says "Apka lock accha hai ap winter mein aya"

"Matlab?"

"Matlab ki apka lock bohot hi accha hai jo ap December mein yaha aya!"

"Lekin mere pas to koi lock nahi hai". I am confused.

4-5 Bengalis clad in their lungis laugh hysterically at me including Rajendar. I am embarrassed.

Then he says "Apkaa naseeb (luck) accha hai ap yaha winter mein aya "

I try to smile.

~*~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home