Monday, July 10, 2006

Bollywood comedies

Recently while reading a movie review, I read some lines which said something like -

Why does every time a bollywood director makes a comedy, he expects us to leave our brains at home and watch it? Why can't we watch an intelligent comedy with our in brains in proper place?

So true! Most of the Bollywood comedies are physical comedies rather than intelligent ones. So audience are expected to digest every exaggerated action or a gesture as a comedy. Not that leave brains aside movies ain't fun. Andaz Apna Apna and Hera Pheri were good. But still....

When you see a movie, its impression on you is influenced by many factors.

- Whether you are tired / in a good mood.
- Whether you fought with your gf, wife,boss etc before watching the movie.
- How much you spent on movie, travel to the theatre?
- Type of person accompanying you while watching the movie.
- Was it in the theatre or on TV, VCD, DVD, pirated/original.

...and I am sure there are more factors. So the taste of humor(movies) is subjective.

Leave brain aside movies - Eg. Andaz Apna Apna, Hera Pheri take the icing. I was once a huge fan of David Dhawan but not any more.

There is one very unusual set of movies - Very serious movies (mostly Art movies) with a slight touch of humor. I tend to like these kind of movies. A classic example would be Matrubhoomi: A Nation Without Women directed by Manish Jha. It certainly need guts to use humor in such a sensitive subject.

Govinda era - I did enjoy No.1 series with Coolie no 1 topping the list. I was young then.

Priyadarshan - I do enjoy the PJs in his movies. Haven't seen his recent ones but did like Hulchul. Some say Chup Chup Ke too is good. And then there was Hera Pheri.

Chachi 420 - This too is one of my all time favorites. All the characters and pjs were awesome.

Badshah - I belong to a club in where members can't stand Shahrukh for long. But Badshah was a nice surprise.

Jane bhi do yaroon - I haven't seen many classics but JBDY remains my favorite from this section. I am yet to see Chupke Chupke.

Movies that never came into limelight - Something like Chupke Se. I am sure many of you must not even have heard its name. Om Puri and the team were awesome. Its sad to see movies like these don't get the attention they deserve.

Unintentional Humor - Movies with unintentional humor have a greatest impact on me. And this is why I am probably one of the biggest Mithunda fans. The list is never ending. But if you are willing to leave aside/ignore some vulgur stuff, Gunda is a must watch! Though as an exception, the movie belong to the Gundas in the movie rather than to Mithunda which is quite unusual. Let me avoid getting into the details as I have already praised Gunda thousands of times. Then there is Puru Raajkumar starrer Balbramhachari. Trust me, if you realize the tact of enjoying this genre of movies, life is great fun!

Unintentional vs Intentional - Many people think movies of Govinda and Mithunda belong to the same category. They are so wrong. What Govinda does is an intentional comedy whereas Mithunda prefers to concentrate on his serious acting. The comedy happen by itself. This is why Mithunda movies always tend to produce phenomenal results. This is also the reason why Govinda cannot attain a level which Mithunda has set. Forget the comparison.

~*~
ps - As somebody asked When it comes to picking the Best Hindi Comedy movie ever made, can there be a unanimous choice ?

Can't be. Its subjective. But then there is always a chance of Andaz Apna Apna topping the polls. What say people?

~*~

1 Comments:

Blogger shlok said...

I am a big fan of Hera-Pheri and Satte-pe-Satta!! I guess, there's something everyone misses in Satte-pe-Satta i.e. NOT TO FOCUS ON AMITABH! It's all his brothers around monkeying all the time and their stupid talks that is most fun!! And more, there's one brother who has been potrayed the MOST frustrated among them, he has acted as a villain in most of the movies but in Satte-pe-satta I found him the most hilarious!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home